Teaching writers' workshop is the best thing I do all day. It is powerful to help young children to become writers. Great books, intentional instruction, high expectations, and wide open spaces. Think Katie Wood Ray. Think Ralph Fletcher. It all comes together here.

Same philosophies extend to instructional coaching. It's about clarity of intention, reflection, and ownership. Working side by side. Building communities of learners (of all ages).



Thursday, March 22, 2018

#SOL18 Day 22: My Permission To Do List for Spring Break

Image result for spring plants

My Permission To Do List for Spring Break


1. Plant something.


I know it’s too early and if I get the garden going before Mother’s Day I’ll be sorry. . . There will be more snow.

But digging deep in the spring-ready soil is like Earth-therapy. There’s something about hands in the dirt, turning over that battered top layer to reveal the dark, nutrient-rich underneath. The crackle of the thin, plastic container as you gently squeeze and wiggle the roots free, frozen in the cylindrical shape of their temporary home. As I find each plant a new space in my garden, I’m taking an active role in the renewal of spring--not just noticing or appreciating, but contributing to the growth.


2. Put my crazy attention span to purely selfish use.


I can focus for days. Not bragging, just stating a fact. When I’m in something, I stay in it. For a ridiculous number of hours at a time. As you might imagine, this comes in particularly useful in my work life.

My goal over Spring Break is to set aside huge swaths of time to fall into books, sprawled out in the grass or the middle of the living room floor like I did as a kid. (It might not be a beach vacation. . . but I’ll read like it is!) No feeling guilty allowed. My creative life needs feeding, and I’m giving myself permission to over indulge.

Laptop, writer’s notebook, caffeinated beverage. Half days (plural) to fall back in love with the novel I’m writing and to begin work on my new secret professional project. . .


3. Cook a meal worthy of a dinner party, even if it’s just for myself.


Why do we save (or why do I save--perhaps I should just speak for myself) unique and elaborate meals for occasions when we’re cooking for others? I never cook for fun; if I’m making a meal for just myself, it’s functional--there’s no joy in my day to day cooking.

I’d like to spend this coming week experimenting in the kitchen. I wonder if I might shift my culinary mindset if I treat myself as a guest at my own table. Perhaps I’ll find a new creative outlet I hadn’t considered before. Or perhaps I’ll notice the impact of paying more attention to a daily habit connected with self care (not my best thing).

7 comments:

  1. What a great permission list! I like them all. There is no way I can start planting anything yet, but I am going to get a few pots going as soon as I find annuals in the stores in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list and really like your number 2. I hope you get to do it. Take time for yourself and rejuvenate. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your Spring Break list. I like this idea. I might have to try something similar. Have a great spring break

    ReplyDelete
  4. You process each indulgence as you write, coming to new ideas, it seems as you go. Not stream of consciousness, but writing as release comes through in your descriptions of each of your permissions. I am so interested in this secret project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm contemplating my own stay-cation for spring break, and your list is inspiring. Most especially your original idea of a "permission to-do list." Love it! Also the dinner party, even if just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this list. Enjoy your spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good to-do list. Short but sweet. I hope you enjoy your spring break, dig into your garden, and eat a good meal!

    ReplyDelete