Teaching writers' workshop is the best thing I do all day. It is powerful to help young children to become writers. Great books, intentional instruction, high expectations, and wide open spaces. Think Katie Wood Ray. Think Ralph Fletcher. It all comes together here.

Same philosophies extend to instructional coaching. It's about clarity of intention, reflection, and ownership. Working side by side. Building communities of learners (of all ages).



Friday, March 2, 2018

#SOL18 Day 2: Writing Rituals


All writers develop rituals over time. Routines that get our minds ready for writing. 

I can tell you exactly what kind of pens I prefer, because of the way they move over the paper, because of the width of line they leave behind. . . I have one (very specific) kind of notebook I use for work and another (equally specific but different) type I seek out for my writer's notebooks. 

That might sound silly to a non-writer, but writers understand. 

Well meaning friends and relatives sometimes buy me pens and notebooks--so thoughtful--because you're a writer, they say. I thank them (sincerely), but I must confess, I don't use them. Not for writing. Because for writing, I need my favorites. 

A writer knows that not all pens are created equal. 

I tend to be a binge writer--preferring to map out four hour blocks to lose myself in writing, rather than short bursts of 30 minutes here or an hour there. This means I don't write as often. . . but it is my own version of a holiday to put "Writing Day" on the calendar. 

Panera is my favorite writing space, but a coffee shop will do in a pinch. I need just the right mix of background noise and music--the hum of sound and activity that will flip the switch to the writing side of myself. 

Every writing session begins with reading. I tend to read in the genre I'm writing, so usually it's a Young Adult novel. Jandy Nelson, Ruta Sepetys, John Green, Sara Zarr. . . This ritual grounds me in my why for writing: I want to tell the sorts of stories that affect readers in the way powerful writing affects me. With this kind of reading, I take my time, rereading lines that call out to be savored more than once. This is my opportunity to be mentored by writers who inspire me (even thought they'll never know it). 

As I read, I nurse a cup of coffee (and sometimes a meal). By the time the coffee is finished, I'm ready to shift into writing. My laptop and writer's notebook are waiting, and the ideas have percolated just the right amount. It's time.

What are some of your writing rituals?

5 comments:

  1. Love this peek into your writing rituals. Reading is a wonderful precursor to writing and what fun to begin writing sessions reading the beautiful words of others. My favorite place to write my Celebrate This Week post is at Starbucks with a cup of hot chocolate by my side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with writing rituals. I love my writing room but sometimes I eed to leave home. What are your favorite pens?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing some of your writing rituals with us. It is nice to get a peek into someone else's writing head. I too have gotten a lot of notebooks over the years that just don't seem to get very full. And of course, as a teacher, I definitely have a preference of pens. I admit that I am actually more of a typer than a handwriter when it comes to writing. Unlike you, I prefer small bursts of writing time than long, uninterrupted times, but as a reader who like long reading days, I can imagine that your Writing Days are fulfilling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like to get our minds right, we often have to get our bodies right, our desks right, our... or is it our minds write,our bodies write, our desks write...they are all part of the ritual and so equally part of the story. Thank you for sharing all the ways that get you writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this peek into your writing life. Like you, I only write with certain kinds of pens, and I only write in certain types of notebooks. I prefer to write in shorter chunks, usually about an hour at a time. And like you, one of my favorite places to write is Panera's. The one on Colorado and Cherry Creek Drive is a little less busy than some, and it works perfectly for me!

    ReplyDelete