Teaching writers' workshop is the best thing I do all day. It is powerful to help young children to become writers. Great books, intentional instruction, high expectations, and wide open spaces. Think Katie Wood Ray. Think Ralph Fletcher. It all comes together here.

Same philosophies extend to instructional coaching. It's about clarity of intention, reflection, and ownership. Working side by side. Building communities of learners (of all ages).



Sunday, March 4, 2018

#SOL18 Day 4


A family of
Deer
Gathering.
All the sound in the world
Disappears
As they move closer across
Winter grass
In and out of sunlight
Filtered through evergreen trees.

A little one stares—
No wildness in her eyes.
Ears cup mountain air
Swivel
Soft inside
Listening for a sound that won’t come from me.


I lean low on the railing,
Making eye contact with the watchful one.
I am a visitor
In their neighborhood today.



5 comments:

  1. Love that you have a picture to go with your poem. You capture that moment beautifully. I love when the deer make an appearance on my way to work in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quiet, still interaction between you and the watchful one is a beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing your moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued by your use of black and grey and wonder if it has something to do with the line "In and out of sunlight." ? You do capture the serenity of these moments and stretch them out to fill this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem and observation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quiet slice makes me think about the deer that I see on my runs in my neighborhoods. I like this sentence: "I am a visitor
    In their neighborhood today. " A good reminder to all of us as we encounter the world around us.

    ReplyDelete