Teaching writers' workshop is the best thing I do all day. It is powerful to help young children to become writers. Great books, intentional instruction, high expectations, and wide open spaces. Think Katie Wood Ray. Think Ralph Fletcher. It all comes together here.

Same philosophies extend to instructional coaching. It's about clarity of intention, reflection, and ownership. Working side by side. Building communities of learners (of all ages).



Monday, March 5, 2018

#SOL18 Day 5

Fair warning: Every time I’ve told the story I’m about to write, I’ve cried. The one time I wrote about this moment in an email, I also cried.

(Chances are good I’m already choking up.)

But I’m going to power through and share this slice of life. Writing has always been a thinking tool for me, and my emotional response to this moment is a clear indication that it matters.


Sitting in the closing luncheon of the CCIRA Conference last month, I should have been feeling relief. After two full years of planning and a completely insane lack of work/life balance, the conference had been a success. I didn’t even have to emcee this event; tradition dictated that the current conference chair passed the facilitation of the final luncheon on to the next year’s chair.

I could sit back and let the affirming feedback (and exhaustion) wash over me (and that was my plan).

Middle grade author Linda Urban began her keynote entitled “Your Secret Writing Heart.” She was engaging. She was insightful.

And she was (unknowingly) talking directly to me.

As Linda described the times in her life she’s been connected to her writer-self versus the times she has set her writing aside, it was as if a gate burst open, and this whole other side of myself that I had packed away suddenly escaped--all at once, like this avalanche of crushing awareness.

I was going to have time to WRITE again.
I was going to have time to WRITE again.
I was going to have time to WRITE again.

(It was all I could do to not burst into tears right there at the table.)

Feelings surfaced that had been pushed down so deep and far into the corners of my self that I hadn’t even noticed they were missing. It was the opposite of a physical pain, like an ache I had been ignoring disappeared, and I noticed its absence rather than its presence.

I thought back to the last time I had worked on my novel--December of the year before last, so 14 months. That day in December was also the last time I met with my critique partner before departing into a vortex of conference prep. . .

In that moment, I was both overjoyed at the idea of digging back into my book and completely broken by the realization that I had been willfully denying such a core part of my identity for over a year.

How had I not noticed?

I knew when I said yes to chairing the 2018 CCIRA Conference two years ago, it would mean I was saying no to other things. I was making a decision that would make other choices impossible (or at least much more difficult). Because the professional and personal pros far outweighed the potential cons, it was a relatively easy call (or so I told myself).

However. . .

Rationalizing the deferment of a dream (like publishing a book) is different from turning off a part of yourself that you need to be yourself. Based on my (dramatic) reaction, it became clear that writing is something I need, not just something I do. 

A writer is something I am.

The words, unfortunately, did not come as quickly as the feelings.

After the keynote, when Linda came over and asked, “Was that okay?” I was unable to speak. I had lost the ability to produce language. I think I nodded, acutely aware that she probably thought I was an idiot, but also unsure of what might come out if I tried to answer her.

(Who am I kidding--it would have been tears. Tears would have come out.)

At that point, Linda was approached by multiple attendees, all wanting to thank her and speak with her. I took advantage of those several minutes to try to wrap my head around what had just happened. I needed to explain it to her--and not just to repair the idiot misconception (although that was definitely part of it).

I had this feeling she would understand, and in that moment, I needed to connect with someone who had experienced the way that not writing (for a writer) can change you.

And, of course, she did understand.

10 comments:

  1. This is powerful writing! I’m glad your life will have time for writing now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been "not writing" since my children were born. This small slice of life activity has given me the opportunity, or perhaps, an excuse, to do it again. I lost all confidence in my art for the last 5 years, and I can't explain the rush of energy I've felt from having these simple, daily deadlines to meet. Amazing how richer the last week has felt. Being creative. Looking at things a little differently. I know exactly what you mean. Like a whole part of myself that I suddenly remembered was missing. Write on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having the same reaction to this Slice of Life Challenge. It's so energizing to carve out time to write every day.

      Delete
  3. I love this piece! Your words take me on the journey with you through that final luncheon. I especially like the little parenthetical asides that deepen the story by providing your insight. I am so glad that this experience revealed this to you in such a powerful flood, one you are not likely to overlook again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this was a very emotional piece. I really feel what you are feeling through your writing. Congratulations on a successful CCIRA Conferences, and congratulations on getting your writing time back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I’m so glad I came across your piece today. I, too, was sitting in the closing luncheon with Linda Urban and I was wondering what you were thinking. Don’t worry, not because I could see your face—I couldn’t—but because this enormous undertaking was now behind you. Thank you for all that you poured into it; it was a fabulous conference. Now I look forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara,

      I wish you had come up to say hello! I'm so glad you were there!

      :)
      Amy

      Delete
  6. Amy! Every writer needs to read this, because you identify so clearly this point: "A writer is something I am." It's a great reminder of being mindful about what we say yes to and what we say no to. I am so thankful you said yes to CCIRA, but now it is time to nurture your creative soul! I can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I agree--I'm so grateful to have had an opportunity to say yes to something like CCIRA. It has been an incredible learning experience. But it was such a powerful moment to suddenly realize the impact of denying myself time to write for so long. It makes me appreciate writing time (and the writing community) so much!

      Delete